Friday, August 15, 2014

A Little About Me

I have been working at the Spencerport Depot & Canal Museum since June 2014 and was hired on as Assistant Director to help get the museum's collection organized and documented (among other things).

I just wanted to share a little about myself before I start sharing what i have learned working at the Depot Museum. I grew up in Spencerport, NY and it has been an amazing experience learning all about the history of this little Erie Canal village that I grew up in. I went to SUNY Oneonta for my undergraduate work and studied History and Art. After that I went to the University of Toronto and got my Master of Museum Studies. I was fortunate enough during my time at Toronto to have the opportunity to do a short 9 week internship with the museum as well as the Village of Spencerport and the Ogden Historians Office and really start learning about the history of Spencerport and the Erie Canal and get a feel for working at the Spencerport Depot. (And they were nice enough to hire me on for the season)

In the few months I have been here this summer I have gone through the about 170 objects in the museum numbered them, photographed them, and put them in an online database. I am also managing social media so follow me there too! @SpptCanalMuseum or on Facebook.

So I'm obviously into history and museums, but I also like being outdoors, traveling, trying new beers, being crafty with scrap-booking, quilting, and making artist books.

I have learned so much working here and met so many wonderful people and I want to share some of my experiences.

-Nora
#MuseumSelfie

No comments:

Post a Comment